Seasonal

 

Sometimes I get anxious when I think about being stuck in England. Obviously, if I wanted to and could afford it, I am free to come and go as I please. But with the decision to study and practice social work came the commitment to a career and life based in the UK.

I have never wanted to stay here. As a child I wanted to work in IT in the American branch of IBM (I had fairly specific aspirations..) or move to Australia with my sister and our family friends. As I got older, I planned trips and sorted visas and collected stamps from many different places, thinking each time of whether this was where I wanted to move and build a life.

England was never on my list.

Living in Pennsylvania for a year, starting from knowing no one and nothing and leaving with a community and a whole other world, was the closest I got to leaving. And whilst I didn't become besotted with the idea of America, it did strengthen my resolve to move away, to discover new spaces and create new lives.

In our discussions of whether I would return to the East Coast, I told Connor that I wouldn't move back for him, that I'd need a purpose, a job I really cared about and wanted to do. That I needed a life I wanted more than a partner.

And I think I have found that. There's just one small catch; it's in the UK.

Training and qualifying in this country enables me to practice here and only here. If I want to be a social worker, at least for now, I am stuck.

It's been hard to accept this, particularly in these past dark and dreary months. It feels drab and grey and draining here, and I itch to get away. I look up flights to obscure cities in Europe, plan road trips across rural Canada, look up opportunities teaching abroad.

But I have this feeling about social work that I can't shake. I am excited. I am nervous about interviews because I really, really want this. I find myself researching and reading, wanting to learn how to navigate our social system and support people as they stumble through situations they never expected to find themselves in. I want to learn. More than I ever wanted to learn about English literature. This feels right. This feels like something I'd be good at and could make a difference in.

So I must stay.
And I think over and over again of this grey country I'm stuck in.

But then, after a low day swallowed by my bed, overwhelmed by interview prep, the sun comes out.

I stand by the window and feel warmth.

I walk outside and bask under the blue sky.

I trek through the countryside with my mother, laughing as the sun shines and we are pelted with hail and it is cold and sunny and beautiful.

I curl back up in bed when we get home, look at my applications again.

And I remember that this country isn't all that bad.

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 11, 2018 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply

I love to hear from you guys :)